We are here to help parents raise happy and healthy children
Established in 1916 as St. Augustine’s NGV Grant, a humble initiative of St. Augustine’s Church Kadanad, St. Sebastian’s Higher Secondary School has had a historic journey to the heights of glory. NGV Grant started functioning under the patronage of visionaries like Rev. Fr. Sebastian Thayyil, Rev. Fr. Mathew Paremackel and Rev. Fr. Chandy Uppumackal. Later it was raised to the status of a primary school. Sri. K.C. Varkey was the first headmaster. In 1925 St. Mathews V.P.G School was opened for girl students and both the schools began to function together. St. Sebastian’s English Middle School came into existence on 29 May 1931. First, Second and Third Forums were started in 1932, 1933 and 1936 respectively and the school was upgraded to the status of a Middle School. In 1951 it received the status of a High School. The full-fledged St. Sebastian’s High School started functioning in 1953 with two divisions of the Fourth forum. Its first headmaster was Rev. Fr. Sebastian Valloppillil who later became the first bishop of the diocese of Thalassery. In 1978-79 the silver jubilee of the school was celebrated with great pride and pomp.
In 1997 the school was raised to the status of a Higher Secondary School with Science and Humanities batches. It was a dream come true when Mar. Joseph Pallickaparambil laid the foundation stone for the HSS block on 17 November 1997. The HSS block was formally inaugurated by Sri. P.J. Joseph, Honourable Minister for Education on 18th August 1998. That the construction of the building was completed in a record time of 9 months reflects the enthusiasm and commitment of the local people. A Commerce batch was also sanctioned in the year 2000. It was an occasion of great joy and pride when in 2003 the golden jubilee of the school was celebrated. Today, under the Corporate Educational Agency, Diocese of Palai, St. Sebastian’s Higher Secondary School occupies the position of a prime school in Kottayam District. With the strength of about 1200 students and a dedicated faculty of 46 teaching and 9 non-teaching staff, St. Sebastian’s Higher Secondary School holds its head high with the motto ‘Tamaso ma jyotir gamaya’ spreading the light of knowledge. The journey goes on…